Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Fuselage sides done






After lots of cutting and fitting the tubes the both sides were done. I laid the two sides together and squared them up to each other ensuring that they were in line with each other and tacked them together where the tailpost will eventually go. Then I was able to spread the two sides apart at the front to start fitting the tubes for what will be the cabin area. Since I am building my Tailwind with Jim Clement's mods I also had to build the rear spar carry through for placement in the cabin area. I fit the bottom tube for the rear of the cabin area first then the rear spar carry through at the top of the cabin area making sure to keep the dimensions correct according the the plans and the suggestions from Jim Stanton. Jim Stanton has a set of corrections for the Aircraft Spruce plans and the measurements differ slightly and can cause some problems if these are not adjusted. Then I put in the front cabin tubes at the bottom first followed by the front spar carry through tube at the top front of the cabin. I also used a digital protractor that I picked up from Sears to ensure that all the tubes were level. I was able to get all of them within .1 of a degree. This is far more accurate than most people since it is my understanding that they use a regular bubble level which would have a variance of around .5 or .6 of a degree. Then I started working my way back to the tail installing the cross tubes.

No comments:

Post a Comment